Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Wednesday 3 January 2018

Steel Fist Gendarmes.

 I purchased a group of the new Steel Fist Gendarmes last year and have finally got around to painting them up. I dont need anymore really as John helpfully pointed out. He reckoned I had more gendarmes than actually existed. I think he was exaggerating although I must admit I have always been fascinated by them and have a lot.
These are probably the most expensive ones I have ever bought, well apart from a small group I obtained that had belonged to the late gret Peter Gilder. 
 To be honest putting them together was not a pleasurable experience as they have separate heads, plumes, and lance with hand connected.I also drill them onto their mounts so they are effectively held together with super glue and piano wire. Saying that, the actual models are first rate with well sculpted plumes, helmets and bards. The company sells bard transfers which I will buy, just in case I want to increase the unit to the customary twelve figures.No matter how steady ones hand is I think the transfers look well worth their money. How lucky are wargamers?
 Pete of Pete's Flags  has recently created another set of wonderful flags for the Italian Wars and I used them. They are of Pete's very high standard again. For the armour I used the Dark Star range of metallic paints. These aren't cheap but are top quality with great coverage.The range includes a renaissance gilding colour and an old gold which after a wash with my trusty Games Workshop Devlan Mud give a lovely effect.So there you have it, another unit of French Gendarmes to bulldozer their way through the Spanish and dastardly Swiss.
                                     









8 comments:

  1. Very handsome work! Your detailing on the barding is especially eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very nice worth the effort of putting them together.
    Best
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look superb, you have really done the figures justice!

    I am still nervous about starting mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular Gendarmes, they look wonderful, colors and flags and superb...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie
    Great to see SFM figures painted up! I'm still to do some myself and you've done a great job on these. I'd like to add them to the Gallery section of the website if I may? (I'm just getting some technical tweaks done to it first!).
    Understand your comment on assembling the castings, but this is the best way of getting all the details cast up as cleanly defined as we can.
    All the best, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous sculpts, superb painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.