Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Monday 6 October 2014

The Power of the Internet.

I know that a lot of people look on the internet as a two edged sword, especially so with a lot of inadequates that seem to inhabit the hyper space. But sometimes it can work for good.
In my case it began with a post about one of my favourite wargames photographs, which was of Peter Gilder's Gendarmes in an early Miniature Wargames. [ Post 'Where are they now']
 As I have stated before, that photograph really inspired me, and still does. As a result I posted a question about what happened to the army owned by Peter Gilder. Well I never got an answer, but Andy of Old Glory fame posted that he had been offered some figures from the Peter Gilder collection many moons ago. He then very kindly got in touch with the gentleman who had offered them and what followed is history.
 The chap was one of wargaming's unsung heroes, Tony Runkee, who had been with Frank Hinchliffe and Peter Gilder from the early days, as a modeller and as a painter. I think its well known that Peter Gilder employed a lot of talented painters to build up his collection, Tony was one of the main painters. Anyway he very kindly supplied me with a regiment of the original gendarmes from the Gilder collection and also threw in a unit of Burgundian crossbowmen. 


 Now they are of the time, but I can tell you the photographs dont really do them justice. The Hinchliffe gendarme was always one of their best figures and Tony was able to capture the look, well certainly in my eyes.
The quality has allowed me not to do anything to the gendarmes apart from paint an edge around the wonderful bases, and add one flag to cover some slight damage to a lance. No doubt they will not be to everyone's taste, which is fair enough, but to me they are perfection. I do intend to use them [ albeit rarely] and will have them on show at the Middlesbrough show in November.
 As regards the crossbowmen, I will have to carefully re base them, but I hope to keep a lot of their original bases if possible.
 I also managed to buy a general figure, which is a Willie general, ironically I have just finished painting the self same figure. Tony's is better naturally.I will show him when I have added some figures around him.







7 comments:

  1. The photographs dont really do them justice? Can't believe it, they are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Phil,
    Tony is a great painter, bearing in mind these were done over 30 years ago.
    Thanks Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony still is a fine painter- He did me some 40mm ACW and some 28mm AWI in the past few years. I now also have a bundle of ECW from the same era as Robbies Gendarmes- of which Tony did some but not all they appeared in "Battleground" and on the cover of Battle and in the Asquith and Gilder's Osprey on Naseby - pics of Tony's work will appear in my next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see these, great gaming history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ken. Now Ive just got to find those other Gendarmes, and then mortgage my house.

      Delete
  5. A great acquisition....I remember seeing these fellows in Miniature Wargames back in the 80's ? My favourite cover was a Gilder sea battle with 25mm Renaissance galleys stuffed with Hinchliffe and Connoisseur figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those galleys were wonderful.I wonder what happened to them?

      Delete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.